Thursday, March 6, 2014

Oscar Recap

I should have done this on Monday, but I'm doing it now because laziness is too tempting sometimes.

Anyway, I got 22/24. The decisions were incredibly easy to predict this year, and that was a good thing this year because the vast majority (off the top of my head all of the decisions I can have opinions on) went to deserving recipients (mostly Gravity).

I missed Documentary Feature, which I figured would go to The Act of Killing, which had most of the critics awards and stuff, but instead it went to 20 Feet from Stardom about showbusiness, so obviously showbusiness people voted for it. It's evidently feel-good, etc. I will NEVER see the latter, but I'm planning on watching the former in a week or two.

The only other category I missed was Live Action Short, which I assumed would go to the 12 minute film The Voorman Problem, which I saw shortly after the ceremony. I figured people would just vote for Martin Freeman, Tom Hollander, and the English language (over Spanish, French, Finnish, and Danish), but they went for dying children (the Danish) instead of "god" prisoners.

Also, I thought Ellen was terrific. She was quite funny, and I will never complain about a host being funny and not being controversial.

No comments:

Post a Comment