Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Update

I know I said that I would have a Les Misérables review up at least 3 weeks ago, but I haven't got it posted yet. I have it written, I just haven't didn't get the chance to post it within the first week or so after I saw it, so I decided it was probably too late. If you want me to post it, though, let me know and I'll get it up.

Otherwise, I've decided that, since I'm unlikely to see a whole lot of celluloid this spring (meaning all the way until the last week in May), I might as well start posting about TV shows. The only show I currently watch religiously is Downton Abbey, so I'm going to try to get a short two-to-three-paragraph review of the last Sunday's episode by about Tuesday or Wednesday. I also watch older shows on Netflix, so I'll be posting about whatever show I'm watching at the time either at the end of every season or at the end of every series, depending on which makes the most sense.

Currently I'm finishing up the final season of Angel (1999-2004), so I'll be doing a double-length post about my experience watching the Buffyverse, which I'm proud to say I enjoyed immensely and would recommend to anybody wanting great television, but more on that in somewhere between 3-10 days from now.

After Angel, I'll be finishing up The West Wing Seasons 6-7 (I've already seen 1-5), and then I'll post a huge blog about what is probably my favorite series ever (it's either West Wing or Battlestar Galactica).

I'll also begin watching the Netflix original series House of Cards soon after it's released on February 1st.

I think Pushing Daisies will follow West Wing and then I'll start trading off comedies and dramas. At some point I can guarantee I will also be watching Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog as Joss Whedon is, by my reckoning, brilliant. I welcome series suggestions, but I can't do anything that is unavailable to stream on Netflix, so don't be offended if I shoot down a suggestion. Some of the shows I was considering, in addition to West Wing and Pushing Daisies, are:

Arrested Development
The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Freaks and Geeks
Dexter
Supernatural
Lost
Weeds
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
30 Rock
Star Trek: Voyager
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
Frasier (seasons 2-8 or 9, I've already seen 1)
Magnum, P.I.
Louie
Quantum Leap
The X-Files (first 5-6 seasons)
Alias
Monk
Columbo
Upstairs, Downstairs
The Twilight Zone
Murder, She Wrote
Dollhouse
Friday Night Lights
Heroes (first season or two)
24
Malcolm in the Middle
Law & Order (first 5-10 seasons)
Felicity
Miami Vice (first season or two)
The Rockford Files
and tons more...

Also, off the top of my head, I've seen either every episode of, or every episode that I'll ever want to see or the following:
Battlestar Galactica
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Grey's Anatomy
Twin Peaks
NCIS
Sports Night
Doctor Who (re-boot)
Sherlock
Psych
The Killing
there may be others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

2 comments:

  1. I would be interested in seeing your more precise thoughts on Les Miserables.

    As for tv I have to admit I just don't watch all that much of it. Out of your ones that you listed though here my thoughts:

    Arrested Development: A hilarious comedy, I am certainly looking forward to the new episodes.

    Breaking Bad: Incredible show can't wait for the conclusion.

    Star Trek the Next Generation: I have seen many of these because when I was younger my mother would always watch them. I never could get into them, and I have always preferred the original series.

    Quantum Leap: Another I have seen for the same reason as Star Trek The Next Generation. I like the set up of the show, and Dean Stockwell.

    Frasier: Enjoyable show, but I was always bored by it whenever it became serious. One thing I think that is usually better handled in movies than tv is balancing comedy and drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post that Les Mis review then. I've seen some of TNG and I must say that I've felt the same way. I find the writing far too stilted, but I've heard it gets better in the 3rd and 4th seasons, so I'm thinking I might start there. And as for Frasier, I see where that could be the case. I almost think that for a TV show to successfully balance comedy and drama it almost has to start as a drama and then throw in the comedy.

    ReplyDelete